- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Parkes, New South Wales, 2001 and 2004. Re-elected following the 2006 electoral redistribution for Calare, New South Wales, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 12.10.15 to 9.5.16.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Transport and Regional Services from 26.10.04 to 6.7.05.
- Minister for Citizenship and Multicultural Affairs from 6.7.05 to 27.1.06.
- Minister for Community Services from 27.1.06 to 30.1.07.
- Assistant Minister for the Environment and Water Resources from 30.1.07 to 3.12.07.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Environment and Heritage from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Publications from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Ageing from 4.11.03 to 31.8.04; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs from 6.2.03 to 31.8.04; Climate Change, Water, Environment and the Arts from 11.3.08 to 3.2.10; Environment from 9.9.15 to 9.5.16 (Chair from 9.9.15 to 9.5.16).
- Joint Statutory: Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Fund from 20.3.02 to 6.2.03; Public Accounts and Audit from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 6.12.07 to 18.9.13. Shadow Minister for Regional Development from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Minister for Water Security from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry from 22.9.08 to 8.12.09; Shadow Minister for Agriculture, Food Security, Fisheries and Forestry from 8.12.09 to 14.9.10; Shadow Minister for Agriculture and Food Security from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Party positions
- Member, National Party from 1984.
- Member, Government Backbench Policy Committees on Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry and Conservation; Environment and Heritage; Industry and Resources; Tourism, Art and Sport.
- Chair, Government Backbench Policy Committee on Foreign Affairs.
- Born 11.2.1950, Bathurst, NSW.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Jackaroo, overseer and manager 1968-74.
- Farmer and grazier from 1976.
- President, NSW Farmers Association 1998-2001.
- Member, National Farmers Federation Executive 1998-2001.
- Member, Rural Assistance Authority (NSW).
- Chair, Western Division Council.
- Member, Western Lands Advisory Board.
Location: central New South Wales; it includes the centres of Bathurst, Blayney, Canowindra, Eugowra, Forbes, Lithgow, Molong, Oberon, Orange, Parkes, Peak Hill, Portland, Wallerawang and Yeoval.
Area: 30 526 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 102 038 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: mining, mixed farming, fruit, timber, vineyards, meat and wool processing, transport, light engineering, manufacturing and food processing, tertiary education services, agricultural and pastoral support services.
State electorates: Calare includes the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorate of Orange, and parts of Bathurst.