Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 5 for 2015
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator David Bushby (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Anne McEwen (Opposition Whip)
Senator Barry O’Sullivan (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Dio Wang (Palmer United Party Whip)
Senator Catryna Bilyk
Senator the Hon Mitch Fifield
Senator Claire Moore
Senator Anne Ruston
Secretary: Chris Reid
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 5 OF 2015
- The committee met in private session on Wednesday, 13 May 2015 at 7.15 pm.
- The committee resolved to recommend—That—
- the provisions of the Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Amendment Bill 2014 [No. 2] be referred immediately to the Education and Employment Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 11 August 2015 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral);
- the provisions of the Law Enforcement Legislation Amendment (Powers) Bill 2015 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 18 June 2015 (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
- the provisions of the Tax and Superannuation Laws Amendment (Employee Share Schemes) Bill 2015 be referred immediately to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 16 June 2015 (see appendix 3 for a statement of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Defence Legislation Amendment (Parliamentary Approval of Overseas Service) Bill 2015
- Defence Legislation (Enhancement of Military Justice) Bill 2015
- Freedom of Information Amendment (Requests and Reasons) Bill 2015
- Judiciary Amendment Bill 2015.
- The Norfolk Island Legislation Amendment Bill 2015 and 7 related bills were considered at meeting 4 of 2015 on Wednesday, 25 March 2015 and not referred. These bills were reconsidered and the committee resolved to recommend that they not be referred.
The committee recommends accordingly.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
- Australian Centre for Social Cohesion Bill 2015
- Competition and Consumer Amendment (Australian Country of Origin Food Labelling) Bill 2015
- Corporations Amendment (Publish What You Pay) Bill 2014
- Motor Vehicle Standards (Cheaper Transport) Bill 2014
- Social Security and Other Legislation Amendment (Caring for Single Parents) Bill 2014.
14 May 2015