Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 5 for 2010
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Kerry O’Brien (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Stephen Parry (Opposition Whip)
Senator John Williams (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Steve Fielding (The Family First Party Whip)
Senator Judith Adams
Senator Mitch Fifield
Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig
Senator Anne McEwen
Secretary: Maureen Weeks
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 5 OF 2010
- The committee met in private session on Wednesday, 17 March 2010 at 7.28 pm.
- The committee resolved to recommend—That—
(a)the order of the Senate of 11 March 2010 adopting the committee’s 4th report of 2010 be varied to provide that the provisions of the Personal Property Securities (Corporations and Other Amendments) Bill 2010 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 12 May 2010 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral);
the provisions of the Tax Laws Amendment (2010 Measures No. 2) Bill 2010 be referred immediately to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 11 May 2010 (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
the provisions of the Trade Practices Amendment (Australian Consumer Law) Bill (No. 2) 2010 be referred immediately to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 21 May 2010 (see appendix 3 for a statement of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Code Amendment Bill 2010
- Carer Recognition Bill 2010
- Immigration (Education) Amendment Bill 2010
- Ministers of State Amendment Bill 2010
- Social Security Amendment (Flexible Participation Requirements for Principal Carers) Bill 2010
- Tax Laws Amendment (Transfer of Provisions) Bill 2010
- Therapeutic Goods Amendment (2010 Measures No. 1) Bill 2010.
The committee considered the Food Importation (Bovine Meat Standards) Bill 2010 and, noting that the bill had passed the Senate on 15 March 2010, resolved to recommend that the bill not be referred to a committee.
The committee recommends accordingly.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
- Defence Legislation Amendment Bill (No. 1) 2010
- Insurance Contracts Amendment Bill 2010
- Territories Law Reform Bill 2010
- Keeping Jobs from Going Offshore (Protection of Personal Information) Bill 2009.
11 March 2010