Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 13 for 2009
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Kerry O'Brien (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Stephen Parry (Opposition Whip)
Senator John Williams (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Steve Fielding (The Family First Party Whip)
Senator Judith Adams
Senator David Bushby
Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig
Senator Anne McEwen
Secretary: Maureen Weeks
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 13 OF 2009
- The committee met in private session on Wednesday, 9 September 2009 at 7.20 pm.
- The committee resolved to recommend—That—
- the provisions of the Crimes Amendment (Working With Children—Criminal History) Bill 2009 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 29 October 2009 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral);
- the Food Standards Amendment (Truth in Labelling Laws) Bill 2009 be referred immediately to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 26 November 2009 (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
- the provisions of the Migration Amendment (Complementary Protection) Bill 2009 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 16 October 2009 (see appendix 3 for statements of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Amendment Bill 2009
- Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities) Bill 2009
- Higher Education Support Amendment (VET FEE-HELP and Tertiary Admission Centres) Bill 2009
- Military Justice (Interim Measures) Bill (No. 1) 2009
- Military Justice (Interim Measures) Bill (No. 2) 2009.
The committee recommends accordingly.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
- Plain Tobacco Packaging (Removing Branding from Cigarette Packs) Bill 2009
- Special Broadcasting Service Amendment (Prohibition of Disruptive Advertising) Bill 2009.
10 September 2009