Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 6 for 2009
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Kerry O'Brien (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Stephen Parry (Opposition Whip)
Senator John Williams (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Steve Fielding (The Family First Party Whip)
Senator Judith Adams
Senator David Bushby
Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig
Senator Anne McEwen
Secretary: Maureen Weeks
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 6 OF 2009
- The committee met in private session on Monday, 1 June 2009 at 8.01 am to consider proposals relating to the order of 14 May 2009 pertaining to the referral of certain budget-related bills to committees (“the order of 14 May 2009”).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That, instead, the provisions of the Tax Laws Amendment (2009 Budget Measures No. 1) Bill 2009 be referred to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by no later than the commencement of business on 22 June 2009 (see appendix 1 for statements of reasons that the bill be referred on different terms).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Higher Education Support Amendment (2009 Budget Measures) Bill 2009
- Social Security Amendment (Training Incentives) Bill 2009
- Social Security and Other Legislation Amendment (Australian Apprentices) Bill 2009
- Tax Laws Amendment (Medicare Levy and Medicare Levy Surcharge) Bill 2009
- Veterans' Affairs Legislation Amendment (Budget Measures) Bill 2009.
(see appendix 2 for statements of reasons that the bills not be referred)
The committee recommends accordingly and reports to the President.
- The committee also considered two proposals relating to the Fairer Private Health Insurance Incentives Bill 2009 and two related bills. The committee could not reach agreement and the bills continue to stand referred to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 16 June 2009 (see appendices 3 and 4 for statements of reasons that the bills be referred on different terms).
- The committee notes that the following bills stand referred to committees to report by 16 June 2009, in accordance with the order of 14 May 2009:
- Guarantee of State and Territory Borrowing Appropriation Bill 2009, to the Economics Legislation Committee; and
- Private Health Insurance (National Joint Replacement Register Levy) Bill 2009, to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee.
1 June 2009
Attachment is available in the PDF version of this document | attachment |