Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 9 for 2008
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Kerry O’Brien (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Stephen Parry (Opposition Whip)
Senator Fiona Nash (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Steve Fielding (The Family First Party Whip)
Senator Judith Adams
Senator the Hon. Chris Ellison
Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig
Senator Anne McEwen
Secretary: Maureen Weeks
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 9 OF 2008
1. The committee met in private session on Tuesday, 2 September 2008 at 4.17 pm.
2. The committee resolved to recommend—That—
(a) the Building and Construction Industry (Restoring Workplace Rights) Bill 2008 be referred immediately to the Education , Employment and Workplace Relations Committee for inquiry and report by 30 November 2008;
(b) the provisions of the Social Security and Veterans’ Entitlements Legislation Amendment (Schooling Requirements) Bill 2008 be referred immediately to the Community Affairs Committee for inquiry and report by 13 November 2008 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral) ;
(c) the provisions of the Tax Laws Amendment (Political Contributions and Gifts) Bill 2008 be referred immediately to the Economics Committee for inquiry and report by 5 November 2008
3. The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- AusLink ( National Land Transport) Amendment Bill 2008
- International Tax Agreements Amendment Bill (No. 1) 2008
- Offshore Petroleum Amendment (Datum) Bill 2008.
The committee recommends accordingly.
4. The committee deferred consideration of the Plastic Bag Levy (Assessment and Collection) Bill 2002  to its next meeting.
3 September 2008