Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 6 for 2008
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Kerry O'Brien (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Stephen Parry (Opposition Whip)
Senator Andrew Bartlett (Australian Democrats Whip)
Senator Fiona Nash (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Steve Fielding (The Family First Whip)
Senator Judith Adams
Senator the Hon. Chris Ellison
Senator the Hon Joe Ludwig
Senator Ruth Webber
Secretary: Richard Pye
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 6 OF 2008
- The committee met in private session on Tuesday, 24 June 2008 at 4.29 pm.
- The committee resolved to recommend—That—
- the provisions of the Offshore Petroleum Amendment (Greenhouse Gas Storage) Bill 2008 and three related bills be referred immediately to the Economics Committee for inquiry and report by 16 October 2008 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
- the Poker Machine Harm Minimisation Bill 2008 be referred immediately to the Community Affairs Committee for inquiry and report by 10 November 2008 (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Crimes Legislation Amendment (Enhanced Child Protection from Predatory Tourism Offences) Bill 2008
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Control of Power Station Emissions) Bill 2008
- Governance Review Implementation (AASB and AUASB) Bill 2008
- Governor-General Amendment (Salary and Superannuation) Bill 2008
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2008
- Pregnancy Counselling (Truth in Advertising) Bill 2006 
- Protection of the Sea Legislation Amendment Bill 2008
- Tax Laws Amendment (2008 Measures No. 3) Bill 2008
- Therapeutic Goods Legislation Amendment (Annual Charges) Bill 2008.
The committee recommends accordingly.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
- Plastic Bag Levy (Assessment and Collection) Bill 2002 
- Trade Practices (Creeping Acquisitions) Amendment Bill 2007 .
25 June 2008