Selection of Bills Committee - Report 12 for 2006
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Jeannie Ferris (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator George Campbell (Opposition Whip)
Senator Andrew Bartlett (Australian Democrats Whip)
Senator Nigel Scullion (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator the Hon Chris Ellison
Senator Joe Ludwig
Senator Stephen Parry
Senator Ruth Webber
Secretary: Richard Pye
Phone: 6277 3020
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 12 OF 2006
- The committee met in private session on Wednesday, 18 October 2006 at 4.17 pm.
- The committee considered proposals relating to the Medibank Private Sale Bill 2006 and resolved to recommend that the provisions of the bill be referred for inquiry and report by 27 November 2006, but was unable to agree on the committee to which the bill should be referred (see appendices 1 to 3 for statements of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That upon its introduction in the House of Representatives the provisions of the Copyright Amendment Bill 2006 be referred to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee for inquiry and report by 10 November 2006 (see appendix 4 for a statement of reasons for referral).
- The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Broadcasting Services Amendment (Collection of Datacasting Transmitter Licence Fees) Bill 2006
- Crimes Amendment (Victim Impact Statements) Bill 2006
- Datacasting Transmitter Licence Fees Bill 2006
- Inspector of Transport Security Bill 2006
- Inspector of Transport Security (Consequential Provisions) Bill 2006
- Maritime Legislation Amendment (Prevention of Pollution from Ships) Bill 2006
- Migration Amendment (Border Integrity) Bill 2006
- Migration Legislation Amendment (Enabling Permanent Protection) Bill 2006.
The committee recommends accordingly.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bill to its next meeting:
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission Amendment (Audit Inspection) Bill 2006.
19 October 2006
AMENDMENT TO REPORT
I move the following amendment:
At the end of the motion, add “and, in respect of the Medibank Private Sale Bill 2006, the bill be referred to the Finance and Public Administration Committee”.
Attachments and amendments are available in the PDF version of this document