Selection of Bills Committee - Report 7 for 2006
Members of the committee
Senator Jeannie Ferris (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator George Campbell (Opposition Whip)
Senator Andrew Bartlett (Australian Democrats Whip)
Senator Nigel Scullion (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Alan Eggleston
Senator the Hon Chris Ellison
Senator Joe Ludwig
Senator Ruth Webber
Secretary: Richard Pye
1. The committee met in private session on Tuesday, 8 August 2006 at 4.18 pm .
The committee resolved to recommend—That the Migration Amendment (Visa Integrity) Bill 2006 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 11 September 2006 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral).
3. The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Protecting Children from Junk Food Advertising Bill 2006
- Protection of the Sea (Harmful Anti-fouling Systems) Bill 2006
- Migration Legislation Amendment (Temporary Protection Visas Repeal) Bill 2006
- Privacy (Extension to Political Acts and Practices) Amendment Bill 2006
- Privacy Legislation Amendment Bill 2006.
The committee recommends accordingly.
4. The committee considered a proposal to refer the Australian Capital Territory (Self-Government) Amendment (Disallowance Power of the Commonwealth) Bill 2006 to the Legal and Constitutional Legislation Committee, but was unable to reach agreement on whether the bill should be referred (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for proposed referral).
5. The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
- International Tax Agreements Amendment Bill (No. 1) 2006
- Tax Laws Amendment (2006 Measures No. 4) Bill 2006
- Tax Laws Amendment (Repeal of Inoperative Provisions) Bill 2006.
9 August 2006
Attachments are available in the PDF version of this document, available here.