Selection of Bills Committee - Report 1 for 2006
Members of the committee
Senator Jeannie Ferris (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator George Campbell (Opposition Whip)
Senator Andrew Bartlett (Australian Democrats Whip)
Senator Nigel Scullion (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Alan Eggleston
Senator the Hon Chris Ellison
Senator Joe Ludwig
Senator Ruth Webber
Secretary: Richard Pye
1. The committee met in private session on Tuesday, 7 February 2006 at 4.19pm.
2. The committee resolved to recommend—That—
(a) the provisions of the Aged Care (Bond Security) Bill 2005, the Aged Care (Bond Security) Levy Bill 2005 and the Aged Care Amendment (2005 Measures No. 1) Bill 2005 be referred immediately to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 27 March 2006 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral);
(b) the provisions of the Electoral and Referendum Amendment (Electoral Integrity and Other Measures) Bill 2005 be referred immediately to the Finance and Public Administration Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 27 March 2006 (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
(c) the provisions of the Family Law Amendment (Shared Parental Responsibility) Bill 2005 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 27 March 2006 (see appendices 3 and 4 for statements of reasons for referral).
3. The committee resolved to recommend—That the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Bankruptcy Legislation Amendment (Anti-avoidance) Bill 2005
- Financial Framework Legislation Amendment Bill (No. 2) 2005
- Fisheries Legislation Amendment (Cooperative Fisheries Arrangements and Other Matters) Bill 2005 
- Jurisdiction of Courts (Family Law) Bill 2005 
- Jurisdiction of the Federal Magistrates Court Legislation Amendment Bill 2005 
- Ministers of State Amendment Bill 2005
- Tax Laws Amendment (2005 Measures No. 6) Bill 2005.
The committee recommends accordingly.
4. The committee deferred consideration of the following bill to the next meeting:
8 February 2006
Attachments are available in the PDF version of this document, available here.