On 11 February 2015, the Senate moved that the following matters be referred to the Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 1 December 2015.
The future role and contribution of regional capitals to Australia, including:
- an assessment of current demographic trends and the changing role of regional capitals;
- an analysis of current funding provided to regional capitals;
- an analysis of the benefit of additional funding regional capitals could receive based on population, demand for services and their strategic importance for the region, state or country;
- investment challenges and opportunities to maintain or grow regional capitals, including infrastructure, community and human services, communications and natural resources;
- incentives and policy measures that would support sustainable growth in regional capitals;
- the impact the changing environment will have on regional capitals; and
- any other related matters.