SUMMARY OF RECOMMENDATIONS
The Government Senators recommend:
- That the Radio Australia short wave service to the South Pacific
and Papua New Guinea be maintained.
- A high priority be given to broadcasting services in remaining Asian
countries, where services should be based on the necessity to reach
the decision-makers in those countries. We believe the Government
should consider using satellite as the primary means of transmission.
- That, while recognising that the DOCA portfolio is primarily responsible
for the RA service, DFAT consider providing some funding for RA, given
the recognised contribution of RA to foreign policy objectives in
key strategic areas.
- That the Government further consider establishing RA under a funding
arrangement separate to the ABC, using possible models now existing
in Canada or Britain.
- That within the ABC's already stated budgetary priorities, the Corporation
give a high priority to continuing foreign language international
broadcasts, particularly within the Pacific region.
- That the ABC continue to encourage re-broadcasting arrangements
- community radio stations within the Asia Pacific region.
Supplementary comment by Senator Eggleston
Senator Eggleston found himself unable to subscribe to the views expressed
by Mr Duncan Campbell.
Senator Judith Troeth
Senator Alan Eggleston
Senator Jeannie Ferris
Senator Sandy Macdonald