The Joint Standing Committee on Northern Australia will inquire into and report on the opportunities and challenges associated with land rights, native title and other land-related agreements (together with payments, benefits and access arrangements under these agreements) for the purpose of engaging Traditional Owners in the economic development of Northern Australia, including, but not limited to:
- The current engagement, structure and funding of representative bodies, including land councils and native title bodies such as prescribed body corporates;
- The role, structure, performance and resourcing of Government entities (such as Supply Nation and Indigenous Business Australia);
- Legislative, administrative and funding constraints, and capacity for improving economic development engagement; and
- Strategies for the enhancement of economic development opportunities and capacity building for Traditional Owners of land and sea owner entities.
- The principle of free, prior, and informed consent.
- Opportunities that are being accessed and that can be derived from Native Title and statutory titles such as the Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976.