The Joint Select Committee on Implementation of the National Redress Scheme was appointed pursuant to a resolution of the Senate on 9 September 2019, as amended and agreed by the House of Representatives on 10 September 2019 and agreed as amended by the Senate on 11 September 2019. The Committee has been established to inquire into and report on:
- the Australian Government policy, program and legal response to the redress related recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, including the establishment and operation of the Commonwealth Redress Scheme and ongoing support of survivors; and
- any matter in relation to the Royal Commission's redress related recommendations referred to the committee by a resolution of either House of the Parliament.
Second Interim Report
The Committee is now accepting submissions to inform the Second Interim Report. Submissions should be received by 30 October 2020, although the Committee will continue to consider and accept submissions after this date to inform its ongoing work.
To assist the preparation of submissions, the Committee has identified five priority focus areas that the second interim report will consider in detail. They are listed below:
1) Survivor Experience
a) Ongoing examination and review of survivors’ experience with the National Redress Scheme
b) Effectiveness of Redress Support Services
c) Impact of COVID-19 upon survivors
d) Privacy & Confidentiality
2) Operation of the National Redress Scheme
a) Assessment Framework Matrix
b) Independent Decision Makers
c) Payments & Indexation
3) Legal advice and private law firms
a) Legal Advice
b) Private Law Firms
4) Participation in the Scheme
a) Institutions & Applicants
b) Funder of last resort provisions
5) First Interim Report Review
a) Review implementation of First Interim Report Recommendations
b) Early payment scheme
More information can be found here.
Second anniversary review of the National Redress Scheme
The Committee's Role is to provide parliamentary oversight of the implementation of the National Redress Scheme. The Department of Social Services is responsible for the operation of the Scheme and the legislated second review.
If you are seeking information relating to the second anniversary review of the Scheme, please contact the National Redress Scheme on 1800 737 377. The Department of Social Services are also providing updates on the progress of the review on the National Redress Scheme website here.