The Tax and Revenue Committee will review the 2015-16 Annual Report of the Australian Taxation Office.
For this review, the Tax and Revenue Committee has resolved to investigate a range of matters raised in the 2015-16 Annual Report of the Australian Taxation Office, including:
- Progress on new technology projects, including myTax;
- Relationships with tax practitioners;
- How the ATO is monitoring and assisting individuals and very small businesses who are not computerised to handle the new environment;
- How does the ATO benchmark its performance in introducing new IT: how does it compare, say, with the banks, or other countries’ tax offices;
- An update on measuring the tax gap, any new estimates of particular taxes and of total revenue impacts, and an overall timetable for completion;
- The new strategy for addressing the cash economy, and an assessment of its effectiveness;
- A progress report on dealing with the backlog of draft public rulings; and
- An update on the indicators of perceptions of fairness in disputes and other performance information as listed in the Committee’s previous report.