The Senate met from 9.30 am until 8.00 pm
Senator Whish-Wilson gave his first speech .
Bills and related documents
The following bills were introduced
- Higher Education Support Amendment (Student Contribution Amounts and Other Measures) Bill 2012 [passed by the House of Representatives on 27 June 2012]
- Legislative Instruments Amendment (Sunsetting Measures) Bill 2012 [passed by the House of Representatives on 26 June 2012]
- Statute Stocktake (Appropriations) Bill (No. 1) 2012 [passed by the House of Representatives on 27 June 2012]
- Tax Laws Amendment (Investment Manager Regime) Bill 2012 [passed by the House of Representatives on 27 June 2012]
The following bill was introduced, debated and passed
- Financial Framework Legislation Amendment Bill (No. 3) 2012 [first speaker] [The bill will now be assented to]
The following bills were passed
- Paid Parental Leave and Other Legislation Amendment (Dad and Partner Pay and Other Measures) Bill 2012 [first speaker] [The bill will now be assented to]
- Passenger Movement Charge Amendment Bill 2012 [first speaker] [The bill will now be assented to]
- Tax Laws Amendment (2012 Measures No. 2) Bill 2012
Pay As You Go Withholding Non-compliance Tax Bill 2012
[first speaker] [The bills will now be assented to]
The Senate debated a motion to exempt the Tax Laws Amendment (Managed Investment Trust Withholding Tax) Bill 2012 from the cut-off order [to enable consideration in this period of sittings – 18 to 28 June 2012] [first speaker].
Notice of motion to introduce a private senator’s bill
- Renewable Energy (Electricity) Amendment (Excessive Noise from Wind Farms) Bill 2012–notice given by Senators Madigan and Xenophon
Message from the House of Representatives reported
- National Broadcasting Legislation Amendment Bill 2010–agreeing to the amendments made by the Senate to the bill [The bill will now be assented to]
Scheduled public committee hearings
- Finance and Public Administration Legislation Committee–Performance of the Department of Parliamentary Services–Interim report [report] [reporting date for the final report set for 28 November 2012] [a motion to take note of the report was debated – first speaker]
- Scrutiny of Bills Committee–Alert Digest No. 7 and 7th report of 2012 [contains assessments of bills on civil liberties and related grounds] [a motion to take note of the report was agreed to]
- Treaties Joint Committee–126th report–Treaty tabled on 21 November 2011 [report] [a motion to take note of the report was debated – first speaker]
- Procedure Committee–First report of 2012 [a motion to adopt recommendations of the report was agreed to – first speaker]
Government responses tabled
- Education, Employment and Workplace Relations References Committee–Primary schools for the 21st Century Program
- Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee–Investment of Commonwealth and state funds in public passenger transport infrastructure and services
- Schedule of government responses outstanding to parliamentary committee reports–tabled by the President of the Senate on 25 November 2011
Proposed establishment of a committee
The Senate did not agree to establish a joint select committee on the National Disability Insurance Scheme [proposed terms of reference].
Reporting date extended
The Senate extended the reporting date of the Australia’s Food Processing Sector Select Committee to 16 August 2012.
Notice of motion to refer a matter to a committee
- Aid to Afghanistan–Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade References Committee–to report by 31 December 2012–notice given by Senator Rhiannon
The Senate agreed to various changes to the membership of committees.
See Disallowance Alert for a complete list of notices of motion to disallow (and outcomes)
- A Clerk’s document was tabled [legislative instruments and other documents required by statute to be tabled]
Orders for the production of documents
Notices of motion
The following notices of motion were given requiring Ministers to table documents:
- The Minister representing the Minister for Health (Senator Ludwig) to table information on Government actions relating to the effects of wind farms on human health–no later than noon on 14 August 2012–notice given by Senators Madigan and Back
- The Minister representing the Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (Senator Conroy) to table documents relating to the discharge of Queensland Government departments’ responsibilities arising under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 2001–no later than 14 August 2012–notice given by Senator Waters
Questions without notice and issues arising during question time–first question
Adjournment debate–first speaker
Motions agreed to
Matter of public importance discussed
Temporary chair of committees
A warrant was tabled nominating Senator Sinodinos as a temporary chair of committees.
Death of former member
The President informed the Senate of the death, on 26 June 2012, of Dr Harold Raymond Edwards, a member of the House of Representatives for the division of Berowra, from 1972 to 1993.
The Minister for Foreign Affairs (Senator Bob Carr) made a personal explanation relating to the ministerial code of conduct and his appointment as a minister.
Notices of motion
Notices of motion
given today are available in the Senate Journals.
* * * * * * * * * * *
The Senate Daily Summary is available at www.aph.gov.au/senate
It is issued by the Senate Table Office as a convenient summary of each day’s proceedings in the Senate. For a complete account see the official record, the Journals of the Senate.
Follow the Australian Senate on Twitter: @AuSenate
The Order of Business (or ‘Senate Red’) and the Dynamic Red (which updates the Order of Business throughout the sitting day) are also available on the Internet at www.aph.gov.au/senate
Inquiries, comments and suggestions:
phone 6277 3021