The Senate met from 9.30 am until 7.26 pm
Bills and related documents
The following bills were debated
- Clean Energy Amendment (International Emissions Trading and Other Measures) Bill 2012 and 6 related bills–second reading debate commenced [first speaker]
The following bills were passed
- Crimes Legislation Amendment (Serious Drugs, Identity Crime and Other Measures) Bill 2012 [The bill will now be assented to] [first speaker in second reading debate]
- Higher Education Support Amendment (Streamlining and Other Measures) Bill 2012–2 Government amendments agreed to [The House of Representatives will now consider the amendments made by the Senate] [first speaker in second reading debate]
- Water Amendment (Long-term Average Sustainable Diversion Limit Adjustment) Bill 2012 [The bill will now be assented to]
Notices of motion
To introduce a private senator’s bill
- Restoring Territory Rights (Voluntary Euthanasia Legislation) Bill 2012–notice given by Senator Di Natale
To discharge a private senator’s bill from the Notice Paper
- Restoring Territory Rights (Voluntary Euthanasia Legislation) Bill 2010–notice given by Senator Siewert
Scheduled public committee hearings
The Senate did not agree to refer the following matters to committees:
Meeting during the sitting of the Senate
The Senate authorised the Community Affairs Legislation Committee to hold a private meeting during the sitting of the Senate on 21 November 2012 from 4.30 pm.
Reporting date extended
The Senate extended the reporting date for the inquiry of the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee into the New Zealand Potatoes Import Risk Analysis to 20 March 2013.
Notices of motion
To hold a meeting when the Senate is sitting
- Law Enforcement Joint Committee–22 November 2012 from 6.00 pm–private meeting
To extend reporting deadlines
- Environment and Communications References Committee–Protection of Australia’s threatened species and ecological communities–to report by 28 February 2013
- Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade References Committee–Aid to Afghanistan–to report by 28 March 2013
- Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee–
- Foreign Investment Review Board national interest test–to report by 27 February 2013
- Fresh ginger import risk analysis–to report by 20 March 2013
- Fresh pineapple imports–to report by 20 March 2013
The Senate agreed to appoint Senator Crossin to the Constitutional Recognition of Local Government Joint Select Committee in place of Senator Singh.
See Disallowance Alert for a complete list of notices of motion to disallow (and outcomes)
- Clerk’s documents were tabled [legislative instruments and other documents required by statute to be tabled]
The Senate debated and agreed to a motion to disallow the Migration Amendment Regulation 2012 (No. 6), as contained in Select Legislative Instrument 2012 No. 237 and made under the Migration Act 1958 [homepage] [first speaker].
Orders for the production of documents
The Senate did not agree to a motion requiring the Minister representing the Minister for Resources and Energy to table a map of the location of the proposed alternative site for a nuclear waste dump.
Government documents were discussed.
Questions without notice and issues arising during question time–first question
Matters of public interest debate–first speaker
Adjournment debate–first speaker
Motions agreed to
Matter of public importance discussed
Notices of motion
Notices of motion given today are available in the Senate Journals.
* * * * * * * * * * *
The Senate Daily Summary is available at www.aph.gov.au/senate
It is issued by the Senate Table Office as a convenient summary of each day’s proceedings in the Senate. For a complete account see the official record, the Journals of the Senate.
Follow the Australian Senate on Twitter: @AuSenate
The Order of Business (or ‘Senate Red’) and the Dynamic Red (which updates the Order of Business throughout the sitting day) are also available on the Internet at www.aph.gov.au/senate
Inquiries, comments and suggestions:
phone 6277 3021