The Senate met from 12.30 pm until 5.30 pm
Senator Judith Adams
The Senate paid tribute to the memory of the late Senator Judith Adams with a motion of condolence moved by the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate (Senator Abetz) [first speaker].
Senator Dean Smith was sworn in as a senator to fill a vacancy in the representation of Western Australia.
Bills and related documents
Notices of motion
To exempt a bill from the cut-off order [to enable consideration this period of sittings – 8 to 10 May 2012]
- Family Assistance and Other Legislation Amendment (Schoolkids Bonus Budget Measures) Bill 2012
Relating to the consideration of a bill
A notice of motion was given by the Parliamentary Secretary for School Education and Workplace Relations (Senator Collins) to vary the hours of meeting and routine of business for 8 May 2012 and to consider the Family Assistance and Other Legislation Amendment (Schoolkids Bonus Budget Measures) Bill 2012 under a limitation of time.
Scheduled public committee hearings
Notices of motion
To refer matters to committees
- Any bills introduced into the House of Representatives after 10 May and before 31 May 2012 that contain provisions commencing on or before 1 July 2012–Committees–to report by 18 June 2012–Parliamentary Secretary for School Education and Workplace Relations (Senator Collins)
- Minors in detention–Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee–to report by 28 June 2012–notice given by Senator Hanson-Young
To hold meetings when the Senate is sitting
- Community Affairs References Committee–9 May 2012 from 5.00 pm–public meeting–Approval and monitoring of Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) breast implants
- Law Enforcement Joint Committee–9 May 2012 from 5.30 pm to 7.00 pm–private meeting otherwise than in accordance with standing order 33(1)
- Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee–9 May 2012 from 5.00 pm–public meeting–Foreign Investment Review Board national interest test
To extend a reporting deadline
- Senators’ Interests Committee–Draft code of conduct for senators–to report by 27 November 2012
See Disallowance Alert for a complete list of notices of motion to disallow (and outcomes)
Orders for the production of documents
Notice of motion
Senator Hanson-Young gave a notice of motion to require the Minister representing the Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (Senator Conroy) to table legal advice relating to the Murray Darling Basin draft plan–no later than 28 June 2012.
Death of former member
The President informed the Senate of the death, on 1 April 2012, of the Honourable Lionel Frost Bowen, AC, a former minister and member of the House of Representatives for the division of Kingsford-Smith. A motion moved by Senator Faulkner was carried [first speaker].
Notices of motion
Notices of motion given today are available in the Senate Journals.
* * * * * * * * * * *
The Senate Daily Summary is available at www.aph.gov.au/senate
It is issued by the Senate Table Office as a convenient summary of each day’s proceedings in the Senate. For a complete account see the official record, the Journals of the Senate.
Follow the Australian Senate on Twitter: @AuSenate
The Order of Business (or ‘Senate Red’) and the Dynamic Red (which updates the Order of Business throughout the sitting day) are also available on the Internet at www.aph.gov.au/senate
Inquiries, comments and suggestions:
phone 6277 3021