The Department of Parliamentary Services (DPS) is committed to complying with applicable legislative and regulatory requirements in achieving environmental best practice and ecologically sustainable outcomes at Parliament House.
Our key environmental objectives are to ensure environmentally responsible practices are established and maintained through all areas and operations at Parliament House. To achieve this objective DPS will:
- Operate within the principles of Ecologically Sustainable Development
- Develop environmentally responsible policies, procedures and systems to ensure pollution prevention and minimal environmental impacts
- Develop and implement measures and adopt technology, where appropriate, to prevent and minimise pollution, and reduce waste, energy and natural resource use.
- Comply with all applicable environmental laws, regulations, agreements and other requirements to which the Parliament subscribes
- Require compliance by all of our contractors and suppliers.
- Systematically manage our activities to achieve and promote continual improvement, by setting environmental objectives and targets and assessing our achievements.
- Continually review and update this policy, communicate it to all employees and make it available to the public.
DPS reports annually on elements of environmental performance, in line with the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act), for the management of resources for which it is responsible. DPS demonstrates how activities for which it responsible accord with the principles of Environmental Sustainable Development. We monitor our environmental performance and regularly review whether the objectives and desired outcomes are being achieved.
DPS and its employees are committed to improving environmental performance and achieve this through the implementation of this Policy. We encourage all staff to actively pursue environmentally sustainable outcomes, whilst providing services to politicians, staff and visitors.