Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters
Inquiry into the 2007 Federal Election.
Terms of Reference
On 27 February 2008, the Special Minister of State requested the Committee to conduct an inquiry with the following terms of reference:
That the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters inquire into and report on the conduct of the 2007 election and matters related thereto.
On 12 March 2008, the Senate agreed to the following resolution:
- That the following matters be referred to the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters for inquiry and report:
All aspects of the 2007 Federal election and matters related thereto, with particular reference to:
- the level of donations, income and expenditure received by political parties, associated entities and third parties at recent local, state and federal elections;
- the extent to which political fundraising and expenditure by third parties is conducted in concert with registered political parties;
- the take up, by whom and by what groups, of current provisions for tax deductibility for political donations as well as other groups with tax deductibility that involve themselves in the political process without disclosing that tax deductible funds are being used;
- the provisions of the Act that relate to disclosure and the activities of associated entities, and third parties not covered by the disclosure provisions;
- the appropriateness of current levels of public funding provided for political parties and candidates contesting federal elections;
- the availability and efficacy of `free time' provided to political parties in relation to federal elections in print and electronic media at local, state and national levels;
- the public funding of candidates whose eligibility is questionable before, during and after an election with the view to ensuring public confidence in the public funding system;
- the relationship between public funding and campaign expenditure; and
- the harmonisation of state and federal laws that relate to political donations, gifts and expenditure.
That in conducting the review the committee undertake hearings in all capital cities and major regional centres and call for submissions.
On 14 May 2008 the Senate made the following resolution:
That the Commonwealth Electoral (Above-the-Line Voting) Amendment Bill 2008 be referred to the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters as a particular part of its inquiry into all aspects of the 2007 Federal Election for inquiry and report not before June 2009.
A copy of the bill and related documents is available through these links. Bill and Explanatory Memorandum
On 18 June 2008 the Senate agreed to the following resolution:
That the Commonwealth Electoral Amendment (Political Donations and other Measures) Bill 2008 be referred to the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters for inquiry and report on 30 June 2009 in conjunction with the committee's inquiry into to the 2007 Federal Election.
A copy of the bill and related documents is available through these links. Bill
and Explanatory Memorandum
Back to top