Selection of Bills Committee - Report No. 7 for 2009
MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE
Senator Kerry O’Brien (Government Whip, Chair)
Senator Stephen Parry (Opposition Whip)
Senator John Williams (The Nationals Whip)
Senator Rachel Siewert (The Australian Greens Whip)
Senator Steve Fielding (The Family First Party Whip)
Senator Judith Adams
Senator David Bushby
Senator the Hon. Joe Ludwig
Senator Anne McEwen
Secretary: Maureen Weeks
SELECTION OF BILLS COMMITTEE
REPORT NO. 7 OF 2009
- The committee met in private session on Thursday, 4 June 2009 at 7 pm to consider proposals relating to the order of 14 May 2009 pertaining to the referral of certain budget-related bills to committees (“the order of 14 May 2009”).
- The committee agreed to reconsider the Higher Education Support Amendment (2009 Budget Measures) Bill 2009 and resolved to recommend that the bill be referred immediatelyto the Education, Employment and Workplace Relations Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 22 July 2009 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons that the bill be referred on different terms).
The committee recommends accordingly and reports to the President.
- The committee considered a proposal to not refer the following bills to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee but draws the committee’s attention to paragraph (4) of the order of 14 May 2009:
- Family Assistance Amendment (Further 2008 Budget Measures) Bill 2009
- Private Health Insurance Legislation Amendment Bill 2009.
(see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons that the bills not be referred)
The committee makes no further recommendation in respect of the bills.
- The committee also reconsidered a proposal relating to the Fairer Private Health Insurance Incentives Bill 2009 and two related bills. The committee noted the Opposition members of the committee prefer a reporting date of 5 August 2009 but as no agreement could be reached the bills continue to stand referred to the Economics Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 16 June 2009 (see appendix 3 for a statement of reasons that the bills be referred on different terms).
- The committee notes that the following bills stand referred to committees to report by 16 June 2009, in accordance with the order of 14 May 2009:
- Guarantee of State and Territory Borrowing Appropriation Bill 2009, to the Economics Legislation Committee; and
- Private Health Insurance (National Joint Replacement Register Levy) Bill 2009, to the Community Affairs Legislation Committee.
4 June 2009
Back to top