That the committee consist of 7 senators, 2 nominated by the Leader of the Government in the Senate, 4 nominated by the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate, and 1 nominated by any minority group or independent senator.
(a) participating members may be appointed to the committee on the nomination of the Leader of the Government in the Senate, the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate or any minority party or independent senator;
(b) participating members may participate in hearings of evidence and deliberations of the committee, and have all the rights of members of the committee, but may not vote on any questions before the committee; and
(c) a participating member shall be taken to be a member of the committee for the purpose of forming a quorum of the committee if a majority of members of the committee is not present.
120 No. 3-30 September 2010
(4) That the committee may proceed to the dispatch of business notwithstanding that not all members have been duly nominated and appointed and notwithstanding any vacancy.
(5) That the committee elect an Opposition member as its chair.
(6) That the chair of the committee may, from time to time, appoint another member of the committee to be deputy chair of the committee, and that the member so appointed act as chair at any time when there is no chair or the chair is not present at a meeting of the committee.
(7) That, in the event of an equally divided vote, the chair, or the deputy chair when acting as chair, have a casting vote.
(8) That the committee have power to appoint subcommittees consisting of 4 or more of its members and to refer to any such subcommittee any of the matters which the committee is empowered to examine.
(9) That the committee and any subcommittee have power to send for and examine persons and documents, to move from place to place, to sit in public or in private, notwithstanding any prorogation of the Parliament or dissolution of the House of Representatives, and have leave to report from time to time its proceedings, the evidence taken and such interim recommendations as it may deem fit.
(10) That the committee be provided with all necessary staff, facilities and resources and be empowered to appoint persons with specialist knowledge for the purposes of the committee with the approval of the President.
(11) That the committee be empowered to print from day to day such documents and evidence as may be ordered by it, and a daily Hansard be published of such proceedings as take place in public.
(12) That the committee provide an interim report by 8 June 2011.