Recommendations from the Australian Communications and Media Authority's Report
on the operation of the submarine cable protection regime
- The Minister consult with the Attorney-General
about the conduct and funding for a study to determine whether active
compliance monitoring in protection zones is necessary and if needed, how this
monitoring could be provided.
- Clauses 17 and 32 of Schedule 3A be amended so
that the ACMA is only required to publish a summary of a proposal to declare,
very or revoke a protection zone.
- Clause 56 of Schedule 3A be amended so the ACMA
has the power to set standard conditions that would apply to protection zone
- Cluse 69 of Schedule 3A be amended so the ACMA
has the power to set standard conditions that would apply to non-protection
- The Minister take note of the concerns raised
about potential inconsistency between Schedule 3A and UNCLOS and recognise the
need to remove the potential for any inconsistency.
- The Minister take steps to amend Schedule 3A to
provide for protection zones around other submarine cables with national
significance that are wholly in Australian waters.
Navigation: Previous Page | Contents