Committee establishment, role and history
Role of the Intelligence and Security Committee
The Committee is appointed under section 28 of the Intelligence Services Act 2001 (the IS Act).
Section 29 of the IS Act states that the functions of the Committee include:
- review the administration and expenditure of the ASIO, ASIS, DIGO, DIO, DSD and ONA including the annual financial statements of ASIO, ASIS, DIGO, DIO, DSD and ONA;
- review any matter in relation to ASIO, ASIS, DIGO, DIO, DSD or ONA referred to the Committee by the responsible Minister or a resolution of either House of the Parliament;
- review, by 22 January 2016, the operation, effectiveness and implications of Division 3 of Part III of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation Act 1979; and
- report the Committee's comments and recommendations to each House of the Parliament and to the responsible Minister.
The Committee is not authorised to initiate its own references, but may resolve to request the responsible Minister refer a particular matter to it for review.
Section 31 provides for the Committee to prepare and table an Annual Report as soon as practicable after each year ending 30 June.
The IS Act limits the inquiry powers of the Committee by providing that the functions of the Committee do not include:
- reviewing the intelligence gathering and assessment priorities of ASIO, ASIS, DIGO, DIO, DSD or ONA;
- reviewing the sources of information, other operational assistance or operational methods available to ASIO, ASIS, DIGO, DIO, DSD or ONA;
- reviewing particular operations that have been, are being or are proposed to be undertaken by ASIO, ASIS, DIGO, DIO or DSD;
- reviewing information provided by, or by an agency of, a foreign government where that government does not consent to the disclosure of the information;
- reviewing an aspect of the activities of ASIO, ASIS, DIGO, DIO, DSD or ONA that does not affect an Australian person;
- reviewing the rules made under section 15 of the Act (to protect privacy of Australians);
- conducting inquiries into individual complaints about the activities of ASIO, ASIS, DIGO, DIO, DSD or ONA;
- reviewing the content of, or conclusions reached in, assessments or reports made by DIO or ONA, or reviewing sources of information on which such assessments or reports are based; or
- reviewing the coordination and evaluation activities undertaken by ONA.
For further information on the work of the Intelligence and Security Committee contact the
Back to top