<< Return to previous page | Senate Daily Summary
Thursday, 24 November 2011
Download this document (PDF 449KB)
The Senate met from 9.30 am until 10.39 pm
Bills and related documents
The following bills were introduced
- Broadcasting Services Amendment (Regional Commercial Radio) Bill 2011 [Senate bill]
- Fair Work Amendment (Textile, Clothing and Footwear Industry) Bill 2011 [Senate bill]
- Government Investment Funds Amendment (Ethical Investments) Bill 2011 [private senator’s bill]
- Higher Education Support Amendment (VET FEE-HELP and Other Measures) Bill 2011 [Senate bill]
The following bill was debated
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Bioregional Plans) Bill 2011–second reading debate continued [first speaker]
The following bill was introduced and passed
- Broadcasting Services Amendment (Review of Future Uses of Broadcasting Services Bands Spectrum) Bill 2011 [passed by the House of Representatives on 23 November 2011] [The bill will now be assented to]
The following bills were passed
- Auditor-General Amendment Bill 2011 [The bill will now be assented to]
- Competition and Consumer Amendment Bill (No. 1) 2011 [The bill will now be assented to]
- Corporations (Fees) Amendment Bill 2011
- Personal Property Securities Amendment (Registration Commencement) Bill 2011 [The bill will now be assented to]
- Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Amendment (Fair Protection for Firefighters) Bill 2011 [The bill will now be assented to]
- Work Health and Safety Bill 2011 [The bill will now be assented to]
Work Health and Safety (Transitional and Consequential Provisions) Bill 2011 [The bill will now be assented to]
Notices of motion to introduce private senators’ bills
- Fair Work Amendment (Arbitration) Bill 2012–notice given by Senator Madigan
- Treaties (Parliamentary Approval) Bill 2012–notice given by Senator Madigan
Scheduled public committee hearings
- Australia and the countries of the Indian Ocean rim–Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade References Committee–to report by 1 November 2012 [terms of reference]
- Lobbying Code of Conduct and the Lobbyist Register–Finance and Public Administration References Committee–to report by 1 March 2012 [terms of reference]
- Marriage visa classes–Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee–to report by 3 May 2012 [terms of reference]
- Possible relationship between the Leader of the Australian Greens (Senator Bob Brown) and Mr Graeme Wood–Privileges Committee [terms of reference]
Proposed establishment of a committee
The Senate did not agree to establish a select committee on the Australia Network service [terms of reference].
Meeting during the sitting of the Senate
The Senate authorised the Rural Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee to hold a public hearing into the Air Navigation and Civil Aviation Amendment (Aircraft Crew) Bill 2011 and the Qantas Sale Amendment (Still Call Australia Home) Bill 2011 during the sitting of the Senate on 24 November 2011 from 4.30 pm.
Reporting date extended
The Senate extended the reporting date for the inquiry of the Electoral Matters Joint Committee into the funding of political parties and election campaigns to 12 December 2011.
Notices of motion
To hold a meeting when the Senate is sitting
- Cyber Safety Joint Select Committee–8 February 2012 from 4.00 pm to 6.00 pm–public meeting
To refer a matter to a committee
- Review of the Fifth Community Pharmacy Agreement–Community Affairs References Committee–to report by 30 June 2012–notice given by Senator Di Natale
See Disallowance Alert for a complete list of notices of motion to disallow (and outcomes)
Orders for the production of documents
Motion agreed to
The Senate ordered the Minister representing the Minister for Health and Ageing and the Minister representing the Minister for Human Services to table a report from Medicare Australia on matters relating to the Medicare Chronic Disease Dental Scheme–no later than 5.00 pm on 7 February 2012.
Questions without notice–first question
Adjournment debate–first speaker
Motions agreed to
The Senate did not agree to a motion moved by the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate (Senator Abetz) to censure the Government [first speaker].
Statement by President
The President made a statement relating to the resignation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives (Mr Jenkins).
Notices of motion
Notices of motion given today are available in the Senate Journals.
* * * * * * * * * * *
The Senate Daily Summary is available on the Internet at www.aph.gov.au/senate
It is issued by the Senate Table Office as a convenient summary of each day’s proceedings in the Senate. For a complete account see the official record, the Journals of the Senate,on the Internet at http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/pubs/index.htm.
The Order of Business (or ‘Senate Red’) and the Dynamic Red (which updates the Order of Business throughout the sitting day) are also available on the Internet at www.aph.gov.au/senate
Inquiries, comments and suggestions:
phone 6277 3021