<< Return to previous page | Senate Daily Summary
Wednesday, 9 November 2011
Download this document (PDF 349KB)
The Senate met from 9.30 am until 7.58 pm
Bills and related documents
The following bills were debated
- Tobacco Plain Packaging Bill 2011 and a related bill–second reading debate continued [first speaker]
The following bills were passed
- Australian Renewable Energy Agency Bill 2011
Australian Renewable Energy Agency (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2011
[These bills will now be assented to]
- Steel Transformation Plan Bill 2011 [The bill will now be assented to]
Notice of motion to introduce a private senator's bill
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation Amendment (International Broadcasting Services) Bill 2011–notice given by Senator Ludlam
See Committees for details of reports relating to legislation
Scheduled public committee hearings
- Native Title Amendment (Reform) Bill 2011–Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee [report]
- Environment and Communications References Committee–Recent ABC programming decisions–Additional information and submission [a motion to take note of the documents was agreed to]
Meeting during the sitting of the Senate
The Senate authorised the Community Affairs References Committee to hold a private meeting otherwise than in accordance with standing order 33(1) during the sitting of the Senate on 9 November 2011 from 5.00 pm.
Reporting dates extended
The Senate extended the reporting date for the Rural Affairs and Transport References Committee inquiries into the live export trade, and the Live Animal Export (Slaughter) Prohibition Bill 2011 [No. 2] and the Live Animal Export Restriction and Prohibition Bill 2011 [No. 2]–to report by 23 November 2011.
Notices of motion
To hold a meeting when the Senate is sitting
- Gambling Reform Joint Select Committee–22 November 2011 from 4.00 pm–private meeting otherwise than in accordance with standing order 33(1)
To extend reporting deadlines
- Education, Employment and Workplace Relations References Committee–Disability employment services–to report by 25 November 2011
- Senators’ Interests Committee–Draft code of conduct for senators–to report by 10 May 2012
See Disallowance Alert for a complete list of notices of motion to disallow (and outcomes)
- Clerk’s documents were tabled [legislative instruments and other documents required by statute to be tabled]
Orders for the production of documents
Motion agreed to
The Senate ordered the Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy (Senator Conroy) to table documents relating to the Australia Network tender process, no later than noon on 10 November 2011.
- Government documents
- Response to a Senate resolution about National Police Remembrance Day–from the Commissioner of Police Tasmania (Mr Hine) [resolution agreed to on 22 September 2011]
Questions without notice and issues arising during question time–first question
Matters of public interest debate–first speaker
Adjournment debate–first speaker
Motion agreed to
Proposed suspension of standing orders
The Senate debated but did not agree to a motion moved by the Leader of the Australian Greens (Senator Bob Brown) to suspend standing orders to enable debate on a motion relating to the conduct of Senator Heffernan following the final vote on the Clean Energy Bill 2011 and 17 related bills [first speaker].
Notices of motion
Notices of motion given today are available in the Senate Journals.
* * * * * * * * * * *
The Senate Daily Summary is available on the Internet at www.aph.gov.au/senate
It is issued by the Senate Table Office as a convenient summary of each day’s proceedings in the Senate. For a complete account see the official record, the Journals of the Senate,on the Internet at http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/pubs/index.htm.
The Order of Business (or ‘Senate Red’) and the Dynamic Red (which updates the Order of Business throughout the sitting day) are also available on the Internet at www.aph.gov.au/senate
Inquiries, comments and suggestions:
phone 6277 3021