Text of bill
- First reading: Text of the bill as introduced into the Parliament
- Third reading: Prepared if the bill is amended by the house in which it was introduced. This version of the bill is then considered by the second house.
- As passed by both houses: Final text of bill agreed to by both the House of Representatives and the Senate which is presented to the Governor-General for assent.
- Explanatory memorandum: Accompanies and provides an explanation of the content of the introduced version (first reading) of the bill.
- Supplementary explanatory memorandum: Accompanies and explains amendments proposed by the government to the bill.
- Revised explanatory memorandum: Accompanies and explains the amended version (third reading) of the bill. It supersedes the explanatory memorandum.
Circulated by members and senators when they propose to make changes to the bill. For details about the outcome of proposed amendments please refer to either the Votes and Proceedings (House of Representatives) or the Journals (Senate).
Schedules of amendments
Schedules of amendments list amendments agreed to by the second house and are communicated to the first house for consideration. Subsequent action by either house may also be included in a schedule.