42. Travel on official business

42.1 Employees may be required to travel on official business as part of their normal duties.

42.2 Official travel should be undertaken in accordance with the Clerk’s Instructions and relevant departmental guidelines.

42.3 Where possible, travel on official business should be arranged between 7.30am and 7.30pm Monday to Friday.  Travel during these times may be counted as time on duty for the purposes of flextime.

42.4 Where travel outside these times is essential and/or unavoidable in order to meet work demands, a section head or program manager will grant an employee a period of paid time off in lieu (TOIL) at single time.  The arrangements applying to the banking of, and access to, such TOIL credits will be as outlined in clauses 33.10 to 33.12.

Class of travel

42.5 Employees are entitled to economy class air travel where required to travel on official business within Australia.

42.6 Employees will be entitled to travel business class within Australia if the actual continuous flight time (excluding connecting flights) is in excess of three hours, and the employee is expected to perform duty immediately following the completion of the flight.

42.7 Where the abovementioned flight is in conjunction with a connecting flight, and the additional cost to the department to fly an employee business class on the connecting flight would be no more than 10% greater than the economy class airfare, the employee may fly business class for the connecting flight.

42.8 An employee required to travel overseas on official business will be entitled to business class travel.  Where business class travel is not offered, the employee will travel economy class.

Travelling expenses

42.9 Subject to clause 42.2, an employee required to travel within Australia on official business, necessitating absence from Canberra overnight, will be provided with a corporate credit card to meet reasonable accommodation, meal and incidental expenses, or will be fully reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred upon return.

42.10 Subject to clause 42.2, an employee required to travel overseas on official business will be provided with a corporate credit card to meet reasonable accommodation, meal and incidental expenses (e.g. airport taxes, telephone calls to maintain contact with family) or will be fully reimbursed for expenses incurred upon return.  Advances may be made on a case by case basis having regard to issues such as accepted processes for the payment of accounts in the country being visited and projected expenses where payment by credit card is not an option.

43. Child care/family care expenses

43.1 Where an employee is required to work additional hours, to travel on official business, at short notice, or is recalled to duty from leave, the Clerk may approve the reimbursement of reasonable expenses incurred for the care of a household family member (e.g. child or elderly parent) where:

(a) the employee is given less than 24 hours’ notice of the requirement to work, travel or be recalled to duty; and

(b) there is no form of suitable unpaid care available to the employee; and

(c) the manager is informed immediately that the requirement to work or travel may give rise to a claim under this clause, so that alternative work arrangements can be considered.

44. Relocation expenses

44.1 Subject to clause 44.2, an employee recruited from interstate or overseas and needing to relocate will do so at his or her own expense.  This applies to employees on promotion, transfer, movement and engagement.

44.2 Where it is considered that relocation assistance should be provided to ensure that the preferred person accepts the offer of employment, the Clerk may approve reimbursement of costs up to $3,000.

45. Loss or damage

45.1 The Clerk may approve reimbursement to an employee for loss or damage to clothing or personal effects which occurs as a direct consequence of the performance of his or her duties at work.  Employees are to report any such loss or damage, as soon as practicable after the occurrence, to their immediate supervisor.

46. Notice of resignation or retirement

46.1 Where possible, employees should provide written notice of resignation or retirement to their program manager in accordance with the following periods:

(a) Parliamentary Executive levels       four weeks

(b) APS 1/2 to 6 levels                       two weeks.

46.2 A resignation may not take effect on a public holiday or closedown day.

47. Payment on death

47.1 Where an employee dies, or is presumed to have died, the Clerk will make a payment to the employee’s legally authorised representative of the amount to which the employee would have been entitled on resignation or retirement.

48. Introduction of paid parking

48.1 If a system of paid parking is introduced in the vicinity of Parliament House such that the provision to an employee of free parking is a fringe benefit for the purposes of Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986, the department will pay any fringe benefits tax that arises as a result of the provision of that parking to the employee.